Former Mother Church of Salemi
The former Mother Church of Salemi , dedicated to San Nicola di Bari , collapsed following the 1968 earthquake. Today only the ruins of the apse remain as a scenic backdrop for the square in memory of the earthquake and as a symbol of the country's rebirth.
The church stood on the acropolis of the city, probably in the same place as a pre-existing pagan temple dedicated to Venus, and later an Arab mosque. It was built in 1615 on a project by Mariano Smeriglio. The works lasted for over a hundred years.
Today the large churchyard, between the apse and what remains of the side chapels, has become a meeting and meeting place.