Village of Scopello
The Borgo di Scopello , located a few kilometers from Castellammare del Golfo, on a small hill bathed in the valley by a wonderful sea, is one of the most characteristic villages of Sicily . < br> The village, which forms the southern gate of the Riserva dello Zingaro , is known for its spectacular stacks , its ancient Tonnara and for the its splendid sea . Among the most beautiful beaches we remember the Faraglioni beach , the bay of Guida Loca and the Cala Mazzo di Sciacca .
Recent history Scopello is intertwined with that of the baglio, dating back to the 1700s. According to some studies, the area around Scopello could be linked to the Roman city of Cetaria. Cetaria disappeared from the pages of history, probably destroyed during the Arab domination. During the era of the Swabians, under the leadership of, the village of Scopello was granted to the Piedmontese Oddone de Camerana and to some Lombard knights. In 1237, following continuous invasions by pirates along the coast, the latter moved towards Corleone, while the village passed under the guidance of the city of Monte San Giuliano.
At the entrance to the town is the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie with two characteristic bell towers on the sides, of recent construction, and a little further on, a large open space, surrounded by nature, donated to the church transformed into an open-air place of worship, the church-garden. The heart of the village of Scopello is the central square, Piazza Nettuno, with a stone drinking trough in the center, around which the small town develops, originating from the expansion of an ancient eighteenth-century beam. The baglio, which is accessed through an arch, is a characteristic courtyard that today hosts various tourist activities. The alleys of the village are animated by souvenir and gift shops, craft shops, clubs and restaurants. From the small square, at the top, you can see the Torre Bennistra .