Basilica of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul in Acireale
The Basilica of Santissimi Pietro e Paolo in Acireale, built during the seventeenth century at the behest of the brotherhood of the same name that owned an oratory in this place, Overlooks Piazza Duomo.
The main façade, which was originally very simple, was enriched in 1740 based on a design by Pietro Paolo Vasta, an artist from Acese in charge of creating the design for the new facade. This façade in white Syracuse stone is characterized by the movement of two orders of superimposed columns and by the measured soaring of the bell tower on the right. The failure to complete the bell tower on the left has indeed favored the calm dynamism of the whole.
Inside there are various works including: Saints Alfi o, Cirino and Filadelfo and Sant’Antonio abbot by Giacinto Platania from the last quarter of the seventeenth century; the Ecstasy of Sant’Andrea di Avellino by Pietro Paolo Vasta from the mid-18th century; the Madonna and Child with Saints and, in the sacristy, Saints Peter Paul who adore the Eucharist by Matteo Ragonisi. On the altar of the Blessed Sacrament is the venerated statue of the Divine Christ at the Column, made of wood, plaster and papier-mâché.