Church of San Giuliano in Catania
The Church of San Giuliano in Catania, located in the suggestive and characteristic via Crociferi, is among the most significant works carried out in the eighteenth-century reconstruction of the city following the terrible earthquake of 1693. The building was built between 1739 and 1751 by Vaccarini.
Characteristic elements are the convex facade in the middle part, which generates vigorous chiaroscuro, the churchyard decorated with black and white stones, and the dome surrounded by the loggia, from which, according to tradition, the nuns of the city observed the procession during the festival of Sant'Agata. The characteristic baroque broken pediment of the Church of San Giuliano supports two allegorical female figures.
The octagonal-shaped interior houses beautiful frescoes on the pavilion vault by Giuseppe Rapisardi (1842) from Catania, Sant'Antonio Abate di Pietro Abbadessa (1648), and the Byzantine Crucifix painted on a shaped panel dating back to the fourteenth century.