Capo Santa Croce lighthouse in Augusta
The Santa Croce Lighthouse of Augusta stands on a splendid cliff overlooking the Ionian Sea, surrounded by thick vegetation.
It was built in 1856 by the Bourbons. In 1932, under the fascist regime, a first restoration was carried out and a large cistern was built to collect water. During the Second World War, the lighthouse became an important observation point, but following the bombings it was abandoned. Only after the end of the war did the lighthouse resume its function.
Today the lighthouse is the headquarters of the Auxiliary Coast Guard and of the Centro Educazione al Mare school.