Public Gardens of Augusta
The Public Gardens of Augusta, located in the area between the castle and the current Via Cristoforo Colombo, constitute the most important green area of the city.
In this area, where the Piazza d'Armi was built in 1683, in 1850 the first trees were planted on the initiative of Mr. Micheroux, an officer of the Bourbon military army garrisoned in the Augusta stronghold. In 1923 the public gardens were named after the illustrious fellow citizen Orso Mario Corbino, a name they still retain today.
The gardens are made up of two parts, separated by Piazza Castello: on the eastern side there is a characteristic musical stage, and a particular seat made with the local sandstone, with the seat both towards the same musical stage and in the opposite direction with a view of the enchanting sea of the Xifonio Gulf; in the area of the western side there is a beautiful belvedere which offers a spectacular panorama of the Megarian port and its western bank and which also allows a pleasant view of the Garcia and Vittoria forts, the colossal Hangar and the vast park that surrounds it.