Church of San Bartolomeo in Scicli
The Church of San Bartolomeo is one of the most important monuments of the city of Scicli and one of the most beautiful expressions of the Neoclassical Baroque of Sicily.
The church is located in a quarry between two hills, is surrounded by nature and offers a very suggestive landscape.
It was built in the early fifteenth century, at the behest of Salvatore Alì, and was the only structure to remain largely intact following the earthquake of 1693.
The facade is divided into three orders marked by imposing columns, at the top of which we find the bell tower protected by a dome. The structure is enriched by numerous statues and prestigious details and has a very light color that gives it elegance. In the façade, the neoclassical influence is clearly legible due to the profusion of trabeated columns with Palladian rigor repeated from one order to another, which end in the mighty ribs of the dome.
The interior, with a single nave, has a Latin cross plan and is embellished by the frescoes on the vault depicting the main moments in the life of San Bartolomeo. There is also a complex decorative apparatus in partially gilded stucco made starting from the first half of the eighteenth century. Bartolomeo ", a work by Francesco Pascucci," the Immaculate Conception of Saints "by Cassarino and the" Deposition "by Mattia Preti.
The church also houses a wooden crib considered one of the oldest cribs in Sicily.