Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Augusta
The Mother Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Augusta is the most important religious building in the city and a splendid example of Sicilian Baroque.
It was rebuilt following the terrible earthquake in the Val di Noto in 1693, on the remains of an ancient church from the XIV century dedicated to Santa Maria dei Miracoli. The works for the construction of the church lasted for over 70 years.
The church has a Baroque facade divided into two orders: in the first there are three entrance portals, each of which leads to the respective internal nave; in the second is the large window of the choir loft, at the apex of which is the belfry with three bells. The top of the building ends in a point with a large clock.
The interior of the church, in the shape of a Latin cross, is divided into three naves separated from each other by long pillars. The main altar is entirely made of marble.