Church of Santa Caterina in Taormina
The Church of Santa Caterina d'Alessandria d'Egitto in Taormina stands on the ruins of the Odeon, which in turn was built on the remains of a Greek temple probably dedicated to Aphrodite.
The baroque style church it was built in the first half of 1600. In the center of the façade, above the portal, the statue of Saint Catherine sculpted in 1705 by Paolo Greco is placed in a niche.
The interior of the church is single nave. Following the restoration in the 1970s, a crypt was found under the floor of the church in which important people were once buried and, on the right side of the church, the ruins of walls and cobblestones from the Greek-Roman era. which have been enclosed by a wrought iron railing. The portal is in pink Taormina marble, while all the openings in the façade are in Syracuse stone.
Inside is the marble statue of Santa Caterina dating back to 1493.