Convent Church in Ravanusa
The Church of the Convent in Ravanusa, also known as the Convent of the Friars Minor of Sicily or the Sanctuary of Maria Ss. Assunta, is the most important church in the town and houses works of considerable artistic value.
The current buildings of the convent and the church were built in 1884 at the end of the town. However, the presence of the minor friars in Ravanusa dates back to 1706, but the previous premises were abandoned due to frequent landslides.
The façade, with simple lines, is divided into three orders and flanked by the structure of the convent.
L The interior, with a single nave, is richly decorated with stuccoes by Provenzani from Palma di Montechiaro. There are also valuable frescoes representing the various phases of the war with which Roger freed the Ravanusans from Muslim domination. In particular, the legend is also depicted according to which Roger, kneeling in front of the Madonna, makes water flow from under the fig.
Among the works kept inside the church, noteworthy is the painting of the Assumption located in the apse and the fresco in the choir representing St. Francis of Assisi in glory. Of particular artistic value is the finely decorated terracotta statue of the Madonna delle Grazie placed on the main altar.