Santa Marina Church in Salina
The small Church of Santa Marina overlooks the square of the homonymous port. According to tradition, the origins of the church of Santa Marina and the cult of Santa Marina di Bitinia is linked to the Venetian colonists from Candia. These also brought the vine that was grown in Monembasia which gave rise to the famous Malvasia di Salina.
The first document that testifies to the existence of the church dates back to 1675, it was enlarged in 1725.
The façade with a gable roof is delimited by large pillars incorporated into the wall and is crowned by a triangular pediment with volutes and buttresses . At the top of the pediment an artistic cross in wrought iron. On the sides of the façade there are two twin bell towers with single lancet windows on all faces surmounted by polygonal cusps surrounded by pinnacles around the edges.
The interior has a single nave with a large circular apse embellished with a large cornice decorated with stucco ornaments. Recently, thanks to a donation from the Royals of Belgium, the church has been adorned with a majolica pavement that incorporates the original designs of the eighteenth century and with splendid chandeliers.