Clock Tower in Taormina
Clock tower of Taormina is centrally located on Corso Umberto, next to Piazza IX Aprile. Because of its position, the tower is also called Porta di Mezzo and separates the medieval village from the classical and Hellenistic part.
First built in the 12th century on the remains of an older defensive wall construction, dating back to the 4th century BC, it was razed to the ground by the invasion of the French troops of Louis XIV in 1676. The Torre di Mezzo and the two entrance gates of the city, Porta Catania and Porta Messina, were in fact part of the triple system of fortifications that developed from the north-east , built by the Arabs to defend the city.
In 1679 the Tower was rebuilt and on that occasion the great clock that characterizes it today was also placed.
The bells of the Tower are rung in celebration on the day of the election of the mayor and on the occasion of the procession on the feast day of the Patron Saint Pancrazio which occurs on 9 July.