Church of the Catena in Gioiosa Marea
The Chiesa della Catena in Gioiosa Marea, also known as the Church of San Giorgio, was the first religious building built in the new urban center of Gioiosa Marea after the exodus from the ancient Gioiosa Guardia following a disastrous earthquake.
It was built in 1796 by order of the prosecutor Nicolò Ferlazzo.
The church, with a single nave, is flanked by a bell tower which houses two bells, one of which dates back to 1652 and comes from the old town.
The high altar is adorned with rich baroque mixed marble dated 1750 and houses the sixteenth-century marble effigy of the Gagini school depicting the Madonna della Catena from the ancient church of Gioiosa Guardia.