Church of San Nicolò di Bari in Gioiosa Marea
The Church of San Nicolò di Bari in Gioiosa Marea, dedicated to the Patron Saint, is the largest place of worship in the Tyrrhenian town.
The Mother Church, as in the case of the other churches, represents a revival of the churches built in the ancient Gioiosa Guardia.
The construction of today's church was completed in 1855, while the bell tower dates back to 1902.
The facade is characterized by the stone portal which houses the effigy of the saint in a niche.
The interior has three naves. The main altar, in mixed marble from 1771 transferred from the old church, welcomes the wooden statue of the Patron Saint from the 18th century. The left altar from 1778, also in mixed marble, houses the Blessed Sacrament.
Among the other valuable works kept in the church are: the wooden statue of the Most Holy Ecce Homo from 1890; a pipe organ from 1725 and some oil on canvas paintings by Olivio Sozzi from 1737.